• Mickey Mouse & Friends

    Made of our Signature Chocolate cake with Chocolate Creme and fresh cream
  • Floral Design

    Pandan Kaya Cake with fresh cream flowers
  • Carrot Cupcakes

    Specially requested for kids with ADHD

Monday 31 December 2012

Afghan Biscuits

As promised, here's the recipe which is adapted from my one and only store bought recipe book. Art bought this book for me years ago. I've never been into buying books as;

1. I find that most recipe books are not practical, as in it doesn't work. 
2. The Internet are full with recipes, you can get it free, so why not?

It's a Periplus book, titled "Biscuits, cookies & brownies". If memory served me right, we got it from Kinokuniya. However, this book it's different, I would highly recommend it especially to beginners and here's why:

Pros
1. I have yet to try all the recipes in it but those that I've tried worked well 
2. Each recipe is complete with step by step guide and also photos for the different technique used
3. There's a basic guide on baking; from basics like how to use a measuring spoon to mixing methods to decorating and many more
4. At the last page, there's a complete information on cup conversion, also oven temperatures and even the type of eggs they used

Cons
There's only one which I could find which is the recipes are using cups as measurement. I hate converting and I prefer grams which I feel would be more accurate.

So without further ado, here's a yummy and chocolatey recipe just for you. Let's celebrate the new year with a crunch!



Afghan Biscuits
Ingredient: Biscuit Base
150g unsalted butter (I used salted)
62g soft brown sugar (I used fine normal/white sugar)
1 egg (I used 50g egg but if you want to follow the book, it's 60g egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
125g plain flour
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
30g cup dessicated coconut (I skipped this sometimes and it still taste fine)
85g lightly crushed cornflakes

Ingredient: Decoration
100g chocolate, melted (I used semi sweet chocolate)
roasted diced almonds, optional

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line your biscuit/cookie tray with baking paper

2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.

3. Add in the egg and vanilla essence, mix thoroughly. 

4. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients (plain flour, dessicated coconut, cornflakes) bit by bit and mix the dough well. For those who are using handheld or small mixers, you may want to a spatula for this step instead. 

5. Drop one level tablespoon of mixture at a time onto prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the biscuits to cool on tray.

6. Melt your preferred chocolate, using the microwave or double boiling whichever you prefer. 

7. Dip the tops of the biscuits into the chocolate and garnish with diced almonds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...